Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How Not to Clean Frozen Rain Off a Frozen Windshield



I have not been able to drive for almost a year, as a matter of fact it will be a year tomorrow.
+/-Click for the rest of the story

So I loaned my vehicle to a friend/neighbor – well more of an acquaintance. He is almost as old as me and has not had an easy life.

He seems to have a great big heart but a brain that is not always ‘on’ - if you know what I mean.

This morning it was decided he wanted donuts. A year ago I might have taken him to get a donut but not anymore.

IF my kitchen window blinds are open he is more then welcome to knock for whatever reason. This morning I heard my truck start (he pays the insurance so he has keys).

For some reason he left it out instead of putting it in the garage or under the awning.

I can not see very well but I could see enough to know he was whacking the windshield with the ice scraper. I think he only got one smack.

He covered up the cab of my truck with a tarp from the garage then he scraped and salted my and the neighbors driveways, steps and walkways.

About every ten minutes he looked up at my kitchen window. He has learned that someone better be dying before he knocks on my door. I tend to stay up for twenty hours then sleep for eight or ten then do it all over again.

My days are twenty-eight or thirty hours long. Just because my lights are on does not mean I am awake.

But this morning I could not sleep so I called the glass shop. I used to maintain a very large fleet of vehicles and I have used this guy hundreds of times.

He told me he’d be there at noon. I told him I’d move it into the garage and turn on the heat.

I went out and told my friend to move it into the garage and turn on the heat. I told him to leave it unlocked but to keep an eye on it.

I went to bed. I woke about two and he was sitting in the garage talking to my glass buddy. I made some hot tea then started to go downstairs but I heard my truck start and it and my glass buddy and my friend were gone.

I called my glass buddy later and he told me the insurance covered it all. Great.

I caught up with crap on the computer and news and decided I needed some breakfast. I walked into the kitchen and was about to raise my blind when I saw something sitting on my flower pot.

I opened the window and grabbed a small box of donuts. My friend had remembered what I liked.

About an hour ago he came in the back door and told me he got all the glass out of the cab and had washed all the windows so that they were as clear as the new windshield.

He told me he could not believe how dirty the old one was and he asked ME how long it had been since I washed it. I could not remember.

He told me from now on he would start the truck and let it run or move it into the garage to the heat. He would never swing the ice scraper again.

I laughed and told him I broke two windshields and a rear glass the same way.

He tilted his head to one side and asked if I had always been in such a hurry. I offered him one of the last two donuts and never answered him.

That’s how friends do it – right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be N I C E !!